Monday, December 16, 2013

Week 4 - ISN

Week four was still difficult for me!  This would be the first time in four weeks that I didn't drive to the hospital to see my sweet baby.  Jeremy made me take a day off to stay home and keep things normal for our oldest son.  Jeremy assured me that he would be an awesome "mother" to my sweet Eli for me!  He promised he would feed him, love him, and talk to him like I did each day.  I was still working and it made it difficult for Bryson. It was so hard not to drive to Savannah and see my sweet baby on Monday!!  I knew that he was in good hands, but it was hard not to hold my newborn!

This was a busy week for sweet Eli.  On Tuesday, he was circumcised.  On Thursday, he has his RSV shot, and then on Friday he had an eye exam.  This made for a very long week for him.  He also had his car seat challenge.  They have to sit in their car seat for 90 minutes with the monitors hooked up.  They have to be able to sit the entire 90 minutes without any episodes.  They can't have any problems with their breathing or heart rate to be able to pass their test.  If they don't pass, they will be sent home with a car bed!!!  You really learn a lot with a preemie!!!  With preemie's they really like for them to sleep and eat.  When they are awake and crying, they are using calories.  The more calories they burn the less weight they put on.  This week really took a toll on Eli.  He didn't gain a lot of weight and was very tired.  They even asked us not to hold him when we got there several afternoons at the hospital.  They wanted him to sleep until it was a touch time.

He was also adding additional bottles this week.  They start with one and then they will see how they do after several days.  They do not like to tire the babies out with bottles.  He slowed down toward the end of the week and they quit adding bottles to his orders.  He was only taking two bottles a day.  They thought he would do better, but with all of the events this week, it tired him out.  I was okay with that.  I didn't want them to push him and then he regress.    

By week four, we had also already had two other roommates in ISN.  The 2nd roommate was about to head home too!  It was hard to see these babies leave.  I was jealous.  I was ready for my sweet bundle of joy to go home and be with his family.  It also made me nervous.  I was so scared about how I was going to keep him safe and healthy at home!  I was totally fearful of germs!!

On another note, watching babies leaving the NICU/ISN is bitter sweet to watch.  It makes you think of how far they have come and what a wonderful gift it is to be able to take such an amazing gift home.  All I could think about was bringing my own miracle home to his amazing family and his warm home. I could only think of how blessed I was!!  I was so thankful to be chosen to be Eli's mom!!!   I watched different babies leave that were not so lucky.  I don't know everyone's situation just what I observed.  There was this very young woman that on discharge day, was all alone.  She was alone to take her baby home.  The nurse asked her if anyone was going to bring the car around and she said it was just her.  Poor thing, she had to walk down and get her own vehicle while the nurse brought her baby down.  A single mom to raise a small baby on her own.  A single mom to take care and keep her baby healthy all by herself!   Many times, my heart was touched and made me see how very fortunate so many of us are.  We often take the small things in our lives for granted.  This was God working on me!  I used to be very negative about all of the things that just seemed to keep going wrong in my life.  I just couldn't see the positive!  Well, God has a way of waking you up!  My miracle made me see the positive and how the small things are just small things!  Many negative things happened while we were back and forth to the hospital, but they were small in-comparison.  Our dogs were picked up and taken to the pound.  One was adopted before we could get her back.  Our debit card number was stolen and used.  This was our only debit card.  Our account was closed!  Normally, I would have been devastated, however, I realized these were all small things.  Things I couldn't change....God had given me a miracle.  A sweet baby boy weighing three pounds.  He was my big thing!  He was my positive thing!!  God is so amazing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment